California’s building codes are published by the following three (3) entities. The 2013 Codes may be purchased now from:
- International Code Council (ICC) publishes Parts 1, 2 (includes 8 and 10), 2.5, 6, 9, 11 and 12 of Title 24, the Administrative, Building with Historical and Existing Buildings, Residential, Energy, Fire, Green and Referenced Standards Codes. For order information go to www.iccsafe.org, or call (800) 786-4452;
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) publishes Parts 4 and 5 of Title 24, the California Mechanical and Plumbing Codes. For order information go to www.iapmo.org, or call (909) 472-4208; and
- BNi Building News publishes Part 3 of Title 24, the California Electrical Code. For order information go to www.bnibooks.com or call (888) 264-2665.
California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 24, also known as the California Building Standards Code, is a compilation of three (3) types of building criteria from three (3) different origins:
- Building standards that have been adopted by state agencies without change from building standards contained in national model codes;
- Building standards that have been adopted and adapted from the national model code standards to meet California conditions; and
- Building standards, authorized by the California legislature, that constitute extensive additions not covered by the model codes that have been adopted to address particular California concerns.
Notwithstanding, the national model code standards adopted into Title 24 apply to all occupancies in California except for modifications adopted by state agencies and local governing bodies. To learn more download the Guide to Title 24 document under Guidebooks.
Starting in 1989, CBSC has published triennial editions of Title 24 in their entirety every three years. Title 24 is available for purchase or to the public at no cost through several State Document Depository Libraries. The 2007, 2010, and 2013 triennial editions have been published in their entirety and may be viewed electronically using the links above.