REQUIREMENTS OF LAW: State law authorizes local government to enact local ordinances making amendments to the building standards in the California Building Standards Code (Cal. Code Regs., Tit. 24.). The law includes specific requirements for the basis for a local amendment, how the amendment language and documents must be prepared, and how the amendment must be filed with either the California Building Standards Commission (CBSC), or Department of Housing and Community Development. The requirements must be satisfied before enforcing the amendments. There are additional requirements for amendments by Fire Protection Districts, and for amendments relating to energy conservation that must be approved by the California Energy Commission.
The requirements of state law applicable to local amendments are explained in the Guide for Local Amendments of Building Standards (updated July 2016), along with contact information, and how to obtain assistance. This guide is available at no charge. Local jurisdictions are urged to consult the guide before pursuing amendments to Title 24 building standards and encouraged to review current ordinances that have been accepted for filing by CBSC.
VIEW CURRENT ORDINANCES ON FILE:
- 2016 Cycle Ordinances: Local Jurisdiction Ordinance Filings (XLSX) (PDF)
- 2013 Cycle Ordinances: Local Jurisdiction Ordinance Filings (DOC) (PDF)
- 2010 Cycle Ordinances: Local Jurisdiction Ordinance Filings (DOC) (PDF)
RELATED RESOURCES: The following resources will assist with the development of local amendments and completing the required filing.
CBSC, in collaboration with the International Code Council, California Building Officials (CALBO), and Stuart Tom, Chief Building Official, City of Glendale, prepared the following webinar on the code adoption process for local jurisdictions. This timely and instructive video presentation is one hour and thirteen minutes in length. In the alternative, a written presentation is also provided along with additional information:
Filing local amendments with the California Building Standards Commission
- California Code Adoption for Local Jurisdictions webinar via YouTube - June 7, 2016
- Webinar slide presentation only (PDF)
- The office of the California Building Standards Commission is available to assist. Contact us for assistance from CBSC technical staff.
- CBSC Bulletin 11-01: Local Government Amendments to CALGreen (PDF)
- CBSC Bulletin 10-03: Local Government Amendments (PDF)
- Health and Safety Code Sections 13869, 17958.7, and 18941.5
- Public Resources Code Section 25402.1
- Section 10-106 of the California Administrative Code (Cal. Code Regs., Tit. 24, Part 1, § 10-106.)
Cities, counties, and cities and counties may file their local amendments (ordinances) with CBSC via U.S. Postal Service or electronic mail using the contact information below:
California Building Standards Commission
ATTN: Ordinance Filing
2525 Natomas Park Drive, Suite 130
Sacramento, CA 95833
Information on filing fire protection district ordinances with the Department of Housing and Community Development is provided in our Guide for Local Amendments of Building Standards (updated July 2016).