Within CBSC, the Coordinating Council is responsible for:
- Ensuring coordination in the proposal of building standards;
- Assisting in the development of building standards;
- Resolving conflicting building standards.
Coordinating Council Meetings - for a list of meeting dates please access the Coordinating Council Meeting Calendar webpage.
Coordinating Council Charter (HS. Code, § 18926.):
There is, in the office of the executive director, a Coordinating Council. The membership of the Council shall consist of the executive director, who shall serve as chairperson, and representatives appointed by the State Director of Public Health, the Director of the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, the Director of Housing and Community Development, the State Fire Marshal, the Executive Director of the State Energy Resources Conservation and Development Commission (California Energy Commission), and the Director of General Services.
Subject to the pleasure of the Commission:
- The Council or any member of the Council shall, when called and directed in writing by the executive director, work with and assist an agency proposing building standards or adopting building standards, or both, in the development of proposals for building standards.
- When a state agency contemplates the adoption of any building standard, it shall, prior to commencing any action to prepare a draft of the proposal, advise the executive director, in writing, of that intent and request the executive director to call the Council, or any member of the Council, as appropriate, for assistance.
- Whenever the Commission returns for amendment or rejects any proposed building standard, and one of the reasons for that action is that approval of the proposal would create a conflict with existing building standards of other adopting agencies, the executive director shall call the Council or any member of the Council, as appropriate, to assist in the elimination of the conflict.
- The Council shall draft proposed building standards which the Commission is authorized to adopt pursuant to Section 18933 for the consideration of the Commission and approval, utilizing the criteria of Section 18930.